Kit Bashing an SP Trailer Shed

This content is sourced from MRHMAG.COM in accordance with their copyright terms.  Please view the terms at:  http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/copyright

Kit bashing a unique yard storage shed….

I ’ve been wanting to model an SP truck trailer shed for my Roseburg yard area, and when I saw Classic Metal Works’ HO Southern Pacific AeroVan trailers, I knew I’d found just what I needed to make quick work of this project.

sp-fig1

 

 

 

 

 

 

Figure 1 shows the prototype trailer in Roseburg yard during the late 1980s.

The CMW trailers are styrene and come two-in-a-package. This gave me a spare in case my first kitbashing attempt didn’t work out. I shortened the trailer from 32′ to 25′ by removing a 7-foot section cut along the seams (figures 2 and 3). Cutting on a seam simplified disguising the scar. I trued up the ends by sanding with 220-grit sandpaper taped to a 2×4 (figure 4).
I used some scrap .020” styrene to build an inside flange to hold the two ends in alignment (figure 5) and glued them together with styrene cement. The prototype trailer doesn’t have a
rounded roof edge with front scroll work like the CMW model, so I carefully removed the front scrollwork and squared off the roof edge with a mill file  (figure 6).
I patched the seam using Squadron White Putty and let it dry while I ate a leisurely dinner (figure 7). After dinner, I sanded the putty with a fingernail emery board and some 400 grit wetdry sandpaper (figures 8 and 9).

Based on some prototype photo references, I added styrene door tracks to one side (figure 10). After that I patched up the trailer paint using SP Daylight Orange and SP Scarlet PollyScale paints and painted the roof with a 50-50 mixture of PollyScale Reefer Gray and Reefer White. A brown ultra-fine tip Sharpie made it easy to add rusted seams and details, and then I dry brushed the trailer with some SP orange and scarlet lightened with a touch of PollyScale reefer white (figures 11 and 12). I used some of my gray dirt weathering powder (see the Nov/Dec 2010 issue of MRH) to dull and dirty-up the trailer (figure 13).

Finally, I painted the undercarriage and wheel hubs using PollyScale Roof Brown, and applied more weathering powder. Figure 14 shows the final dulled and weathered trailer next to the original unmodified CMW AeroVan trailer. My aim was to kitbash this trailer into a reasonable facsimile of the trailer in Roseburg yard without needing to do the fancy paint job. With some care, this project went fast, with great results!

sp-fig2

 

 

 

 

Figure 2.

sp-fig3

 

 

 

 

Figure 3.

sp-fig4

 

 

 

 

Figure 4.

sp-fig5

 

 

 

 

 

Figure 5.

 

sp-fig6

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Figure 7.

sp-fig7

 

 

 

 

 

Figure 8.

sp-fig8

 

 

 

 

Figure 9.

sp-fig9

 

 

 

 

Figure 10.

sp-fig10

 

 

 

 

 

 

Figure 11.

sp-fig11

 

 

 

 

 

 

Figure 12.

sp-fig13

 

 

 

 

 

 

Figure 13.

sp-fig14

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Figure 14.

Sourced from MHRMAG.COM

Tags:

Facebook Comments:

Leave A Reply (No comments so far)

No comments yet

Categories